Monday evening, November 6, Jim Staff took the oath of office as Atmore’s newly-elected mayor. Also sworn in for the next four years were city council members newly-elected Chris Harrison, newly-elected Susan Smith, Chris Walker, Cornell Torrence and Webb Nall.
Just prior to the swearing in, retiring Mayor Howard Shell said a meeting would be held to address a set of laws, rules and regulations that must be passed.
Following oaths of office administered by Judge Joe Brogden, the council held an organizational meeting before a full house in the city hall auditorium.
* elected councilman Webb Nall as mayor pro tem.
* set council meetings the second and fourth Monday of each month.
* approved a resolution addressing items coming before the council from the floor or without being on the agenda.
* appointed Joe Brogden as city judge.
* ratified the use of present depositories of all municipal funds.
* appointed Mayor Jim Staff as superintendent of the Atmore Utilities Board.
* adopted an ordinance on the order of procedure, adopting Robert’s Rules of Order.
* appointed Becca Smith to continue as city clerk and city treasurer.